View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 12:23 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 
Arrow

I agree with David’s decision and as a matter of fact suggested the same back channel some time back. The suggestion was not made because I believe that political discussion is not germane to military history but because the personal attacks were way out of bounds to the extreme. I do want to say in defense of military history and political discussion; anyone that knows the history of this country understands that politicians send us to war. It is impossible to discuss military history without discussing the politics that took us to war or might take us to war. Nor can we discuss those wars and how they were fought without including the prevailing political attitudes of the day or politicians including the Commander in Chief that formed the policy that governed those wars. Perhaps we need some tighter rules of engagement and ask that the discussion in the political forum be kept to the previous named points avoiding personal insult or labels that prove nothing but our inability to engage in civil discourse.

Arrow

Thomas Jefferson, Kentucky Resolutions of 1798: "In questions of power then, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution."
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote