View Single Post
Old 06-29-2004, 12:53 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

A lot of things in history are rough and hard to look at/read about but that is what history is supposedly about. I would hate to think that we are so shallow that we cant put things in context and so tender-hearted that we can?t handle the emotions of our forbearers. For those who want to get a feel for what was going on at the time, perhaps a pamphlet with a short story would be interesting and a way to share a contemporary perspective. Sure, make it for sale for some nominal fee like a buck and use the proceeds to keep up the artifact. For those who could possibly be offended, may I suggest a tic-toc and a shipping crate full of soft and pink cotton that they can hide in and just let the world continue on.

Cuts both ways though. I have two books that are written about Gen. Custer and the Battle of the Little Big Horn. The contemporary version is a work of scholarly historical/scientific research while the 1898 version is all emotion, anger at the Native Americans and tons of Ra-Ra Pro-Custer political spin. I wouldn?t part with either as in combination they that tell the story as it should be told, not as some now or then political spin doc wants to tell it.

Scamp