View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 10:46 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Indicative of a much larger problem

Been thinking about this a lot the last few days.

I've read several articles about this situtaion and have accumulated some thoughts from many of them I feel like I should speak out about.

The incidence of Richard Blumenthal and his depiction or explanation of his military service are indicative of a much more insidious and broader disease within our current society.

The issues of integrity in business and politics that plague us today----the way many "elites" are no longer trusted by most Americans----are rooted in the dishonesty that surrounded the Vietnam-era draft and/or call to service.

The Vietnam War drove many members of "our" generation in many different directions. Some served our country because they either believed in the War or at least a committment to serve their country. Others didn't believe in the war and/or may have protested it, but when they were "drafted" felt and obilgation to go and do their duty to serve. Others were simply drafted with no apparent feelings either way. Some "refused" to serve out of their so-called "principles", others out of nothing except "fear", and still others because they felt that taking the time and committment to go to Vietnam would interfere or slow their future careers.

Many of those who didn't serve were assisted by an inherently unfair draft. I find it difficult to find "fault" with anyone for taking advantage of some of those "inherent" discrepancies within that law. However------I DO find fault among those individuals who claim they were avoiding the draft because they supposedly were idealisticly opposed to the war----when, in fact, they mostly didn't want to make the sacrifice that many others felt obligated to do.

The problem then became----that for every person who "dodged" that committment by winning a "deferment" (or as many as 5 or 6!) or a spot in a special National Guard unit----caused someone of a less fortunate social, educational or occupational status to take their place in that hell hole many of us "chose" to serve.

It was during this time that many of "our" generation knew very well that they were using a nearly "broken" (but legal) system to shirk their duty to this great country! They simply cloaked themselves in their so-called "idealism" while deep down they knew without a doubt they were engaging in a charade of the most insidious kind.

Hell, I was against the War in the beginning myself, and felt very strongly that if others felt it was appropiate to "protest" (peacefully)---they should do so----but NOT dodge or shirk their responsibility to serve their nation when called upon.

This intellectual "justification" continues to rear it's ugly head to this day, only NOW-----these men are (or were) among our nations leaders in Government and the business community.

I had a unique opportunity to not only serve with, but to observe and associate with the best and brightest of my generation while in military service and attending Georgia Tech before and after my military service. Among many of my classmates at Georgia Tech were some who used elaborate steps and/or schemes to avoid the draft. During many conversations with some very bright individuals, I was told over and over again that they didn't want to serve in the military because it would hold up or interfere with their business "careers".

But, to those outside of this little academic "society" they would profess and proclaim they weren't going because they were "opposed" to the "war" and all war should be stopped. Eventually they began to believe their own misguided "idealism" was far "superior" to that of those who DID serve. They claimed it was "courageous" to resist the "draft"----something that may have been true----if ONLY they had become conscientous objectors and gone to prison for their so called "beliefs".

Way too many in "our" generation did a deeply insidious and unforgivable thing, and many got away with it. Like I said before, many of the less "fortunate" went off to war in THEIR place. While these men who didn't were able to get their head start to power positions within the Government and business communities.

What we have seen in the past twenty-some-odd years or so is that "flawed" thinking has been carried forward. Many of these men who evaded service but "claimed" their so-called "idealism" are leading (or HAVE led) our elite insitutions, Government and business positions.

Their misguided concept using slighty flawed legal "technicalities" to evade their responsibility has now been carried over to Wall Street derivatives, to shortchange shareholders and/or to saying ONE thing while actually believing another. Once "our" generation became accustomed to this behavior, it seems they have been unable (or unwilling) to stop it.

The overwhelming evidence that this behavior has reared it's ugly head in the world of "politics" is also quite evident. Many of those who "avoided" the war, or military service in a war zone, have since become "Hawks" themselves when it comes to foreign policy. There have been far too many Republicans and Democrats who did NOT "serve" in the war when they had their chance, who now have overcompensated for their unease or reluctance by sending "others" into harms way. Bill Clinton comes to mind in Bosnia and Somalia, while George Bush and Dick Cheney come to mind in Iraq. This is NOT a "partisan" character defect----it occurs on BOTH sides of the political spectrum.

In the near future I'm sure we'll learn more details of Blumenthals sad story. What we DO know though, is much more troubling.

Way too many of "our" generation learned to believe that they could "game" the system and work within the law (flawed as it may have been) in order to evade or ignore their basic responsiblities to this nations citizens by cloaking their actions in their so-called "idealism". This type thinking is coming home to "roost" and scars us still today.

Hopefully Blumenthal and others who chose this "behavior" will get their just dues.

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote