View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006, 07:55 AM

Beau:

Thought I'd explained our living conditions over here...have done so to so many guess I forget who got sent what.

Compared to how we lived in Vietnam, and how some of our troops truly out in the field are living today, we here aboard the Kandahar Airfield Combat Base (KAF) live verrrrrrry well.

Some folks live in large tents. They are air-conditioned but the folks must use shower and head/latrine facilities in separate facilities.

My fellow team members and I live in a large metal building...about 35' wide x 150' long. It has combo A/C & Heater units in each room...indoor head/latrine to include three shower stalls...four sinks. We "live" two men to a room (my roomie is a retired Army CSM)...large wardrobes (2 ea) divide the space in half. I'll attach a flick of my bunk area after these comments.

The KBR (Kellog-Brown-Root) MessHall (today's Army calls such things a "DFac") is very well run, and when considering we're in a combat zone, puts out superb chow!!! From time to time, we even have steak & lobster...SERIOUSLY...LOBSTER!!! I'm sure Robert (the DFac Mgr) will have a wonderful spread laid out for THANKSGIVING! I'll try to take some DigiFlix of it.

We have a great weightroom/gym...world-class equipment, etc.

I would normally be embarrassed to tell folks how well we live, except I've found that altho we really do live quite well, that we're not living nearly as well as a lot of other folks (Contractors and Military alike) in The 'Stan and/or Iraq...just mind boggling because not only is this THE BEST I've ever lived in a combat zone, it's better than some of the BOQ/overall base facilities I lived in overseas while in the Marines!

NOW...make no mistake...it IS a combat zone...regular incoming rockets...etc. In fact, we had to take a detour today on the way back to KAF from where we work at Camp ShirZai because an IED was found along the route. And, from time to time, there is some SAF cranked out at vehicles from who knows where. So there is a downside, but again, the LIVING CONDITIONS are just unreal!!!

Will try for a photo, below:

Semper Fi from the Muddy Sands of Kandahar,