Thread: POW camps in US
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2004, 03:17 PM

Thanks for all your helpful leads.

I have found the following on POW camps in Colorado and Nebraska. Colorado: Camp Carson; Camp Hale - 10th Mountain Div. training camp; Ft. Greeley; and Camp Trinidad. Nebraska: Camp Scottsbluff, Scottsbluff, NE (I lived @ Scottsbluff); Ft. Robinson, Crawford, NE; Camp Indianola; and Camp Atlanta, Holdredge, NE. However, I find that many of these camps had branch camps and this may be where Julesburg comes in. I found on the web a listing of the branch camps for Camp Atlanta, and Julesburg was not listed as one. Perhaps Julesburg was a branch camp for one of the Colorado POW camps.

http://www.nebraskaprairie.org/exhib...A/A.intro.html at this web site I found the following info and many interesting little tidbits.

In addition to the camp at Atlanta there were smaller ones maintained at Scottsbluff, Ogallala, Hays Center, Palisade, Benkelman, Indianola, Elwood, Lexington, Bertrand, Alma, Kearney, Franklin, Grand Island, the Cornhusker Ammo Plant, Hastings, Hebron and Weeping Water in Nebraska. Hays and Cawker City, Kansas also hosted branch camps.

Kmetz