Thread: POW camps in US
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2004, 04:00 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post I have a good family friend.

Who owned a ranch in the Wyoming / Nebraska border. They use to go to the POW camp during the war and pick up prisoners to do farm work. Shortage of American boys. They would treat the Germans like regular hired hands, feed them a noon meal and pay them some small wages. The guys were so grateful they would beg to come out and work on their ranch and other ranches in the area. Mostly they took the younger enlisted men, because they felt they would be easier to handle. They never had any difficult with any of the men. Some of the them immigrated to the USA after the war and sought them out. I don't know exactly where the ranch is located or the prison camp but it would have been close to border of the two states.

My guess there is a web site about American Prisoner of war camps. (there is a web site for almost everything)

Keith

P.S. Just did a little Surfing.

There were camps in Wyoming and Nebraska. It was probably the Douglas, WY. Camp. Mostly Rommel's African Corp prisoners.

Also found out that Oregon, Washington and Calif. had Japanese prisoner of war camps. Mostly in isolated rural areas out West.

There were 175 Camps and 511 Area Camps:
Total Prisoners of War was 425,000 Germans and Japanese made up the most POW's. A few Italians.

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote