View Single Post
Old 08-19-2010, 04:25 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Stacy Pearsall Interview

Here is an interview on the last US troops with my friend Stacy Persall who was a combat photographer with the USAF seving 3 tours in Iraq, video ling also.
Dave

http://www2.counton2.com/news/2010/a...war-ar-726743/

With the exit of the last major combat brigade, comes and end to Operation Iraqi Freedom. But the memories of the war live on for former Air Force combat photographer Stacy Pearsall.

"It's hard for me. I can't get my friends back. And the soldiers we've already lost, we can't get back. So I hope that in the future we lean, is going to war really worth the sacrifice."

During her three tours of duty in Iraq, she witnessed the war first hand. She says she saw everything from the openings of schools to bombs and sniper fire. An insurgent ambush left Pearsall with a spine injury and post-traumatic stress.

"I can't express to you what it's like when bullets are flying, when explosions are happening or when a close friend dies. I can't express that to you, " but Pearsall says she can express the emotion she felt when she learned about the brigade's withdrawal. Relief.

"When I heard that the last troops were being redeployed, it was a weight off my shoulders even though I'm just one person in this great country. But I hope everybody else feels that relief."

Pearsall says she does feel the troops in Iraq made accomplishments like the liberation of women and the establishment of a democracy, but now she says it's up to the Iraqi people to keep it going.

"We can offer it up on a silver platter and say you can do what you want with it, and give them every opportunity. Whether they take that opportunity is completely up to them."

Pearsall received one of the military's highest honors, a Bronze Star Medal and Commendation with Valor for her heroic actions under fire. Her work has been featured in several major publications including Time Magazine, the New York Times and USA Today.

For more information on Stacy Pearsall, click the following link: http://www.f8pj.com/index2.php?ver=v2
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote