View Single Post
Old 02-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default I never knew

To what unit I was assigned when I was with SOG, Didn't know it was named SOG. Was simply told that If I wanted the Job I would be a Recon team leader doing highly classified missions and not to discuss it. When I left they gave me a plaque with the SOG emblem on it with my RT designation and my Time with them and said we didn't really exist. I Started finding out about 10 years ago that several SOG members were writing books and telling about their missions and stories. It is my opinion that several of the SOG members may now be telling some of their stories but it is also my opinion that they are only just skimming the surface. The truth is stranger than fiction and I am sure that if some of us told a fully truthfull account of our missions most would not be believed. I think most of these stories of SOG have a somewhat factual base but are glorified and Truthfully streched. The best way to gain knowledge into what a SOG mission may have been like is to read the Citations for MOH, DSC and SS of SOG members. A perfect SOG mission was to get in and accomplish your mission with no contact with the enemy unless the mission called for it. Just remember that we were working in an area that meant death if captured, there were no rules of war and there was no God. We did what had to be done.