View Single Post
Old 11-21-2005, 05:14 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

?Loyalty to a friend or to a benefactor is one trait that is very strong in the Filipino. Do them a little favor and he remembers you to the end of his days. For to the Filipino friendship is sacred and implies mutual help under any circumstances. A friend is expected to come to the aid not only of a personal friend, but also to the latter?s family. A Filipino?s friend is considered a member of the family. And is expected to share it?s tribulations as well as its prosperity and happiness. It is almost unthinkable for the Filipino to betray his friend, and if there be such one, he becomes a marked man; ostracism is the lightest punishment that can be meted out to him.?

Teodoro A. Agoncillo
History of the Filipino People, First Edition, 1960.

So as to set the record straight, I should not have shared my frustration with PF name calling with my adopted family members in the PI. Given the above reality, they will react and are exceptionally protective of me. I could live there forever in peace and protection simply because I fulfill my part of the friendship agreement, totally.

I did not know Nel would react like that until after she had posted so the allegation that she participated in a scam is really out of line. By nature, she is very shy and non-combative so her post even surprised me, but it shouldn?t have. Her three Sons? are the lions at her gate and I have been very generous and helpful to them. So I really hope all this ends right now. Nel did no wrong nor was she running some right wing scam, she was reacting out of cultural background, and that?s all.

And yes, both of you put the ?racist? label on me. Perhaps you get in too many fights and in the heat of things don?t recall exactly what was said. I did talk to Tom on the telephone about your ?racist? allegation James and he coached me to be more careful with my choice of words around you. And so I have until very recently. Come on Mr. Gimpy, you nailed my ass for and labeled me a ?racist? for using Negro slang. But I see you don?t slam dunk James for using Negro slang like ?axe?.

Maybe I?ll put up comments I get from around the world, including Communist and former Communist countries and then you might just understand why I have become so outraged about the labels and why I will never forget such things. You guys want a bloody fight, fight me, but leave the Pinoy out of it. You don?t want that kind of fight, ever.

Itik-Itik, mahal kita mahal and I?m so very sorry I said anything to you about all this. I should know better and please forgive my Gringo ignorance.

Scamp