View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 11:03 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

The local VA hospital, Mountain Home, is affiliated with East Tennessee State University Medical School. It has been a mixed blessing. We have gone from a chronic shortage of MD's in the area to a surplus. The school has stimulated economic growth in the region to the point permits for 20 new subdivisions were issued this year for Washington County. The problem is the med students and residents are running the hospital in the after hours. They are there to learn and they are there to learn procedures. We had a transfer from Mountain Home to the Johnson City Med Center several years ago. He had died in our hospital and the nurses discovered something during prepping the body. He had 32 needle sticks in his lower lumbar spine. That is where they do spinal taps. I took pictures and reported it. Never heard a word. I had a friend who was house supervisor at the VA. He told me it was a good place to go as long as you are conscious.