View Single Post
Old 10-29-2006, 07:47 AM

Sgt McGrunt:

Yeah Bill...using the signoff as both a takeoff on "The Sands of Iwo Jima" and a Kipling kind of thing...the Kipling link is strong here in the Kandahar (Desert) region in that we're only about 60 clicks from the famed Khyber Pass that Kipling and others have written about/movies made about/etc.

My profile gives a little of my background, but yeah...gained a commission during Vietnam. Boot Camp at MCRD PISC in '61...rose to SSgt and then commissioned in '69. Enjoyed a great 34+ year career in the Corps before leaving the active Service as a Colonel, in July '96. While proud of my accomplishments, you can see by my signature block what I consider my most important accomplishment to be...same thing you and many of our Warrior Brothers have accomplished...earning The Title...MARINE...!

I see you found the Enduring Freedom forum on the Patriot Files site.

Life here at Kandahar Airfield Combat Base is better than anything I'd ever before experienced in combat. Live in a metal pre-fab bldg with A/C, indoor head/showers...good chow at the KBR Mess Hall...world class gym across the street to keep my 64 year YOUNG body in shape, etc. Of course it IS a combat zone, and we take incoming rockets quite frequently, there are IEDs about and every now and then, some bad guys take pot shots at our vehicles, but HEY...there's a war going on here!

Take care...been a long day...still sorting out some "issues" that turned to crappolla on us...hopin' to hit the rack in a couple hours.

Semper Fi from the Sands of Kandahar,