View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 05:24 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

My brother, who served with great distinction in the U.S. Navy as a spook, never considers himself a "Vietnam Vet", even though HE IS! He was on small spy ship of the "Pueblo", "Liberty" type. A "research" vessel. His ship patrolled South Vietnamese waters, North Vietnamese waters, North Korean waters, Red Chinese, and Soviet waters. Dangerous? Just ask the survivors of the Pueblo and the Liberty. He was awarded the Vietnam Service Medal, with 2 stars, I believe. This humble man says, "No Tom, you were there and right in the thick of it. I was just off the coast, I just find it hard to say I'm a Vietnam Vet when I didn't actually set foot in Vietnam". I tell him that the medal says your a Vietnam Vet, and I say it. Have ordered a window decal for him for Christmas that says, "U.S. Naval Forces, Vietnam".

Now I read about this guy who fought the horrible fight at LZ Ft Dix. Now I have nothing in the world against a Vietnam Era Vet. Odds were, they would probably get sent over, and they served. But to change his listing to Vietnam Vet.......that's downright deceitful. He can't plead dumb...anybody that gets to where he is in an org like the Am Leg knows. Hell guys, all VN vets and VN Era vets know the score. It also seems like the Legion is defending him. I long ago gave up my membership in the Legion for reasons I could discuss but won't unless someone asks. I stand by my not being a member after reading this. Whatanasshole!

Now, just a question for all. Who here would say my brother IS a Vietnam Vet?

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote