View Single Post
Old 03-29-2003, 09:48 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default mortars and such...

when I first got to Vietnam I was assigned to a leg unit, the 3/22,
and went out in the field for about a week to FSB Crook. Then they transferred several of us to a mech unit, the 2/22(M). Not sure why. I guess there was a shortage of our MOS. It was in the middle of December, so I got lost in the rear for almost two weeks and got to see the Bob Hope show. I also missed a trek up Nui Ba Den mountain by the legs. From what I understand the mortar equipment was flown out on choppers for them. I always wondered about humping the baseplate ! In the mech unit we were part of everything. They had us out on ambushes, LPs, and OPs, plus I had to man the .50 on our track. All our mortar tracks had big white squares on the side to mark 4th platoon. The 3rd platoon had triangles I believe. Anyway it made us good targets. The 3 gun tracks carried something like 60+ rounds including illum and white-phosporus. I always wondered what would have happened if an RPG hit one of them. I worked in FDC for the last 6 months. I posted a picture of me working with the "computer".
Did you ever use the recoiless rifle in combat ?

Larry