View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 11:40 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Christopher Booker

Now there is a skeptic after my own heart. He has no political leaning, he has come out against global warming, white asbestos and second hand smoke causing cancer, and against intelligent design. He majored in history and has been both a comedic writer and newspaper columnist. I have in the past looked up the backgrounds and sponsors of people writing against global warming and found that many of them have a connection to or are paid by the Oil Industry. Then the falsified evidence from the scientists at the University of East Anglia and this thing about Himalayan glaciers comes out. Now, it is expected that bloggers and paid spokesmen will lie and try to lead the public opinion around by the nose but scientists are supposed to be held to a higher standard. They should be run out of their respective scientific organizations. Does this prove absolutely that global warming is a lie? Not by itself, not any more than the lies of the opposition prove it is true. I guess the question is what about the other evidence? Quite frankly I don't know. One thing for sure, I am not going to jump on the global warming debunker side because it is some kind of test of loyalty to the true believers of the right any more than the opposite. I am perfectly comfortable not knowing for sure if that is where my own research into the data has lead me. One thing I do know for sure is false certainty is the hallmark of a lazy fool. See my quote below.

Murph, about Y2K, the hospital where I worked had a Y2K comitteee for a year before the date, exploring every aspect of the problem and setting up safeguards. When midnight 1 Jan 2000 came around they had the entire management staff on hand in the hospital in case problems arose. I think that hospital has the distinction of being the only place where every dire prediction about Y2K was realized. The power went off, the emergency generators wouldn't come on, the phones went dead both inside and outside the hospital, the computer system crashed, and of course every vital thing powered by electricity quit. I think this says more about the incompetence of the committee system than anything else.