View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 04:52 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

I know I will annoy people with my observation, however, I believe that the Redskins should keep their nickname. The whole thing is political correctness run amok. For those of you who have served in the Army's 7th Cavalry, is the Unit song still Gary Owen? I ask because if anything should be changed, Gary Owen should be deleted as the 7th's official song. If you know the history of the song, it was played at the Battle of Washita Creek to start the attack on an Indian village where mostly women and children occurred. It's a great tune and the 7th is a great unit, but to those in the know, Gary Owen is a stain in our country's history perpetrated by Custer. Now if the song is still the 7th's theme song, that should be travesty since it represents pretty much murder and mayhem!

I have been a Redskins fan since 1968 and I hope they weather the current storm of idiotic political correctness. In fact, I can only think of one acceptable (to me) substitute. They can be called the Washington Braves and keep their logo as well as have a link to their own past. In the 1930's they were known as the Boston Braves before they moved to DC

King John 2.1.466
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote