View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 06:25 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

Tamaroa,
To answer your question of: "Is the unit song still GARY OWEN?", of course it is,...just like words GARY OWEN still and will always top off the 7th Cavalry regimental crest.

Regardless, me and old buddies' chests once in either A, B, C or Hq-Troops quite differently swell up with great pride when hearing The GARRY OWEN of our old unit.

Our pride in unit is quite rightfully so, since in more modern times the squadron or battalion was referred to as: "The Heroic First of The Seventh at the 3 day battle at LZ Xray in Vietnam" & first into Baghdad.

Don't know much about Baghdad, but LZ Xray was where 1st of The 7th took about 50% casualties while fighting against about 10 to 1 odds, and killing a staggering amount of North Vietnamese Regulars intent on destroying them.

Such brave heroism was what the Mel Gibson starring movie: "We Were Soldiers" was all about.

I and old buddies will never be ashamed of our alma mater, no matter whom think we should.

Whatever,: "GarryOwen" (7th Cavs' variation of: "Semper Fi" or Sempre Fidelis) to you.

Neil