View Single Post
Old 07-25-2003, 07:30 AM

Distinctions
Staff VOM 
Default Beau

Hi Beau, how?s Mog?s or Meg, no offense intended. Let me guess, she?s at the age where the old nick-name is no longer a good thing. I remember when our older son Thomas James, (Tom) became T.J., then Teej. It happens all the time.

Anti-miscegenation laws were ended in 1946? I didn?t know that. Wonder what year they ended in the US? With Senators like Strom Thurman and Robert Byrd (democrats and republicans), I?m sure it was much later. In the 60s black men were still getting lynch for being with a white woman. However, it?s all wrong, where ever it happened.

Hey, think again about the tattoo. Those things are so damn hard to wash off.

You know this isn?t a dis against people with Spanish last names but the Spanish did away with the Indians, for the most part. Some historians believe as many as 90% of all people in the Western Hemisphere died as a result of the Spanish taking over the Caribbean and Central America. (Yes northern South America and southern North America too.) It was largely due to a passive extermination; the common cold, syphilis, small pox, etc.

Encomienda system, there's a term I haven?t hear in years. It was done away with, what about 1600(?) and replaced with Peonage. You said you didn?t want to hear about European stuff, so sorry but Peonage did originate in Europe, same-same serfdom. Did you know that Peonage in the Southwest U.S. was something endured by Mexicans, blacks and whites? Yes, mostly Mexicans. In the Southeast it was called Share Croppers, blacks and whites.

Hispanic Vs. Mestizo, ok that could work in like California however most ?Hispanics? in my area are Porto Rican. I?m not sure where they fit on the scale? Maybe we should say rich Vs. poor, isn?t that what it?s all about?

?The Development of The Supreme Court? a course I took many years ago, included Cherokee Nation Vs. Georgia, right up there with Mulberry Vs. Madison. Chief Justice Marshall said that due to treaties freely signed by the Cherokee in the past caused them to give up any right to be a ?foreign? nation, nor were they a State, thus the court did not have venue in the case. When the government paid some of the Cherokee?s to move west they burned the Indians again. They paid them only a small portion in gold, another small portion in cash and the rest in promissory notes which were worthless. No doubt the Cherokee should have hired a law firm from Boston before they signed most of their treaties.

OK, that?s all the comments I wanted to make . Oh, would you believe we were also required to read a book called, ?The trail of tears?? Very sad stuff, sad indeed.

Stay healthy,
Andy
PS: Office politics can be really bad, but it?s a damn sight better than picking asparagus!
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote