Thread: Snow!
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 08:36 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I lived near Johnson City, TN, for a while, kind of a nice blend of really old, old and new. One of my customers, Duke Power, has main offices in Charlotte, NC, and that is a nice scenic drive. Eastern TN, didn’t really sign up with the Confederacy but kind went with flow and kept their heads down. The mountainous terrain doesn’t lend it’s self well to plantation operations of the time so I suppose they figured they didn’t have a dog in that fight or more likely, they were somewhat isolated at the time. More characteristic of the area at the time was small subsistence farms with many having land grant deeds “For services rendered” during the American Revolutionary war. A friend let me read his Great Grandmothers cival war Journal. She went on and on about 'hungry boys' getting after her chickens and eggs, though not really distinguishing Union or Confederate hungry boys. Seemed like that we all just hungry boys to her.

The weather is fairly mellow, though I did see big old Oak tree plucked out of the ground like a carrot during tornado season, yikes. It did snow once and the place came to a screeching halt-no snow removal equipment, so that was that for that until the snow melted. Not a bad idea actually, but I had no excuse because I had brought my 4X4 from Nevada. The only southern accent I can clearly recognize is that of Western Virginia, it is unique in cadence, word choice and succinctness. Oh, one of the first questions I got was “You a Yankee?” More a curiosity question than an aggressive question.
One nice thing about the area is that can be as rural or urban as you wish. Probably one of the few remaining places where a house can be described as “two bedrooms and a path”

Scamp