Thread: Sad for America
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

Distinctions
VOM Staff Contributor 
Cool Sad for America

Two days ago I had follow up appointments to the pulmonary doctor at the Decatur VA where I was given a clean bill of health and told that I could stop using the oxygen. Yesterday I had an appointment with my "primary care doctor at the Stockbridge Clinic.
I've a nasty habit that started many years ago when I still worked at the car company which is to count cars while driving and during those drives to the doctors offices I counted the number of imports and domestic cars and the imports won. All totaled there was 282 imports and 119 domestically built cars that I drove passed or drove past me.
When I was young you could spot an occasional VW or Renault but 99% of the cars on the road were made right here in the USA. When I first started working at the car company I was told that every car that rolled off the assembly line helped to contribute to 10 American jobs and there were few that drawing an "Unemployment Check" paid for by Americans. Gasoline was $.29.9, diesel $.24.9 cents a gallon and when you pulled into the "service station" you did not dare to get out of your Chevy and pump your own gas. The bell rang inside of the station and I ran out to your car and asked if you wanted your oil level or tire pressure checked before I cleaned your windshield. For that I earned $.90 cents an hour. Todays gasoline is over $3.00 a gallon and there isn't any way that anyone is coming outside of the "gas station" to pump gas into your Toyota. If you need air in the tires you pay for it at the air pump and there's no such thing as a "Service Station."
Oh, and by the way there has been two auto plants that have closed their doors here in Atlanta in the past 12 years and the car company no longer pays for either my wife's or my health insurance. They're building a Porch plant along with a test track where the Ford plant used to be and there's a Kia plant now in KIA, Georgia.
Progress?
Change?
Sponsored Links