View Single Post
Old 08-12-2003, 01:14 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Default Jonn...

Regarding your question about ammo,...all our vehicles (first in 10th Recon Co and later in 3rd Recon Sqdn/7th Cav) always carried their basic loads, ready for bear (Russian or whatever) or just plain old war. Latched and secured properly for sure,...but never locked.

I'll use a Scout Section consisting of 2 squads (2 jeeps each) for a breakdown of ammo available to us at a moments notice.

The Squad Leader's and/or Radio/Machinegun Jeep normally had a radio mounted on one side and a box containing 6 cannisters of 30 Cal. ammo on the other side. A Case of 30 Cal. Carbine Ammo was stored on the floor. In my jeep, and since also The Grenadier, some Rifle Grenades were also available.

The secondary and/or solely Machinegun Jeep had 2 boxes mounted. One box on each side, and holding 12 cannisters of 30 Cal. Ammo. Also, a case of 30 Cal. M1 Clips was stored on the floor.

Granted, such might not sound like much firepower coming from only 6 people, and certainly nothing compared to what our APC's, many 50's,100 mil. Mortars and M-41 Tanks could turn-out. Still, and since having a good 50/50 mix of Experts and Sharpshooters (Marksman Qualification not acceptable from day-one in Recon - with machineguns inclusive), I believe that if the-sh!t-hit-the-fan,...WE would have made a good accounting of ourselves.

Hell, I believe to this very day that if attacked by Gengis Khan and his Mongol Hoards,...WE would have kicked-ass and taken-names (BIG TIME). I guess it's that old story? If you honestly believe you're The Best of The Best,...you actually are (or were).

Once thoroughly brainwashed into invincibility aside, GarryOwen, Gung-Ho, "Don't shoot 'till you see the whites of their eyes" or whatever, Friends.

Neil :cl:
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote