View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 09:44 AM

Arrow Star of David Now Marks Graves in Philippines of Fallen World War II US Jewish Soldie

Star of David Now Marks Graves in Philippines of Fallen World War II US Jewish Soldiers
By: Algemeiner Staff - 02-12-20
Re: https://www.algemeiner.com/2020/02/1...wish-soldiers/

Photo link: https://49yzp92imhtx8radn224z7y1-wpe...gravestone.jpg
The grave of US Army Pvt. Louis Wolf — one of five graves belonging to fallen Jewish soldiers in the Philippines now marked with a Star of David headstone. Photo: Twitter.

Seventy-five years after the end of World War II, the graves of five US Jewish soldiers who died fighting in the Philippines have finally been marked with a Star of David.

Originally marked with Latin cross headstones, the Star of David headstones were placed on the five graves at a special ceremony on Wednesday in the capital, Manila.

Sung Kim — the US ambassador in the Philippines — tweeted that the ceremony had honored “five Jewish American soldiers who committed the ultimate sacrifice for the freedom we all enjoy today.”

Coordinated by the American Battle Monuments Commission and Operation Benjamin, a non-profit organization that commemorates American Jewish servicemen in World War II, the Jewish kaddish memorial prayer were recited at the graves of the five soldiers, one of whom — Pvt. Allan C. Franken — was just 20 years old when he was killed.

“We wanted to bring truth to the historical record,” Operation Benjamin founder Shalom Lamm told Fox News.

Said Lamm: “Amid a time of rising antisemitism, it is important that when someone visits the cemetery that they see the physical manifestation of the Jewish men who bled and fought and died for the United States. The symbolism is important; these were people who were born as Jews, lived as Jews, and died as Jews. That heritage was important to them and their families.”

Ambassador Sung Kim - @USAmbManila
Honored to join @USABMC Manila American Cemetery, through its partnership with Operation Benjamin, in placing the Star of David on the burial sites of five Jewish American soldiers who committed the ultimate sacrifice for the freedom we all enjoy today.

ABMC - @usabmc
More than just a change of headstone, this gesture shows what caring for our fallen heroes means to us: making sure that their legacy and their history are told, in the most accurate and reflective way. @USEmbassyPH #WWII #history

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal note: I Have mixed emotions about these markers being replaced but if the family is happy with it - so be it. They were immigrants like so many Father's and Brothers who died there. Getting a Star of David makes the families happy so be it. Almost all who fought in all world wars in behalf of our Country to me were American's regardless of their Faith or Nationalities. How you all feel about this is your choice but if a grave marker makes a difference so be it. They gave their lives like so many others.

To me All Men Are Brother(s) I will take that to grave when I'm gone. No grave marker for me I'm getting cremated and my ashes can go into a dumpster for all I care. I told my kids that. Their Mom wants to be cremated and buried with her Mother - it will be done.
But I must come from a different mold - raised a Catholic and will no doubt be burning in hell for God only knows how long - but its too late to worry about it now - Ashes to Ashes - means just that to me. I don't go to cemeteries for visits. One exception was the Wall in Washington - that to me means more than many can relate to nowadays. I don't need a grave marker - my kids will do better with less expenses to pay out - and I've told them that. I will meet them all know doubt for a short visit - before I go down to hell - for a slow burn. Funerals cost too much nowadays - an expense that my wallet or my kids will not have to pay for. Being a VN Vet my kids may get a break?

Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links