Thread: Horse Cavalry
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2004, 10:35 PM

The Lippizan Horse was indeed saved from the brink of extinction during WWII. This is the only breed of horse that is born black or "grulla" and turns a beautiful white by age 3. For the first 3 years of life they are turned out to pasture and are allowed to run wild, but contained. Their training does not begin until after they are fully developed. Then they are trained in the traditional art of Dressage.

Dressage is the foundation. It is a series of precise steps and control, total respect and communication between rider and horse. This is most certainly NOT any easy sport. Trust me on that one! Once the Lipps have mastered the basics then they move on to the more complex maneuvers, developed by accentuating a horses natural movements in defense and turning it into offense. Rider and horse work as a team whether in battle or in the arena. They relied on one another to survive.
The Lippizans amazing dance although graceful is VERY powerful and Very deadly. You've seen this light (apprx 800lbs) horse jump and kick out in mid air. Now think about a horse that often pulled a plow or wagon (Percheron, 1500lbs or more) in full battle regalia, carrying a knight in full steel armor performing these same movements. Now that is amazing to see. Gives new meaning to "Horse Power".

There are some great books out there on both the art of the cavalry and on the amazing story of the Lippizan. The Excaliber in Las Vegas used to hold daily shows, don't know if they still do or not. I could sit and watch them over and over again and never be bored. But then my mother used to claim I was a centaur!

DL
?Whatever else history may say about me when I?m gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears; to your confidence rather than your doubts. My dream is that you will travel the road ahead with liberty?s lamp guiding your steps and opportunity?s arm steadying your way.?
President Ronald Reagan
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote