Thread: General Moters
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 05:06 AM
Wannabe/Poser

Distinctions
VOM 
Default Well it all started

in the 60s when the american car makers were making such shitty cars. They fell apart in 2-3 years. the japanese cars were cheap and reliable and started taking over market share. Now the american car dealers have been making the big SUV gas hogs while the japanese have been making fuel efficient and hybrid cars. the bottom dropped from the SUV market and they had no cars to replace them. NAFTA is also to blame, with the auto unions, The reason they are only closing n american plants is because of labor costs. You don't see any mexico plants closing do you.

I have only owned Chrysler products all my life, it is now owned by mercedes. I was told not long ago that the cummins diesels will be replaced by mercedes diesels in 07.

One of the plants closing is the Doraville Ga. plant, about 3 miles from me and less than 2 from LT. GM just spent hundreds of millions on this plant converting it from oldsmobile to assembling all of their compact vans. Looks to me as if there was not a lot of future planning.

Ron, your ford may be assembled in america but you can bet more than 75% of the parts are made overseas.