View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 07:32 AM

The Yellow Rose of Texas song with the Hood lyrics is a myth. There is no primary source for the song whatsoever. The earliest reference to the altered lyrics was in a book by Robert Selph Henry who wrote that the soldiers of the Army of Tennessee "might have sung...." and gave the new lyrics. Just like the absurd laudanum myth, some irresponsible author writes a theory and then backporch historians pick it up and repeat it as a fact. Show me the record of a witness who sung it or heard it and I will believe it.

Hood would have been court-martialed? By whom and for what? Only Joe Johnston claimed to have wanted to prefer charges against Hood because he was offended by Hood's comments in Hood's Official Report on the Atlanta Campaign. Offending a vain-glorious butcher of his own soldiers like Johnston was no crime. Yes, Johnston was a butcher. Johnston attacked Sherman at Bentonville in a useless battle that cost 3,000 Confederate casualties yet wrote in his own memoirs that when he resumed command of the AOT in February 1865 "...we could have no more object in continuing the war, than to obtain fair terms of peace; for the Southern cause must have appeared hopeless then, to all dispassionate and intelligent Southern men. I therefore resumed the duties of my military grade with no hope beyond that of contributing to obtain peace on such conditions as, under the circumstances, ought to satisfy the Southern people and their Government." Johnston gets 850 of his own men slaughtered when he proclaimed that the war was over and they call John Bell Hood a butcher and Franklin as a useless waste of life?
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote