View Single Post
Old 02-19-2004, 02:41 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

My own experience as an enlisted crewmember with officers was interesting. We had two newbies in 67 right out of OCS. Both were idiots. One guy actually told us to roll 3"50 ammo down the decks to unload the magazine quicker before we went into drydock for our yard period. The old man and the XO were career regulars, one crusty and the other like a father to us all, Guess which was which? But my favorite officer was a guy named _ _ _ _. Tyo. He was an ensign who had been an enlisted man. Best officer I ever served with. Having come from the enlisted ranks, he knew how to treat you, associate with you, punish you when you strayed from the path, and you didn't mind because you knew from where he came.

There were a couple of reserve OCS officers which were fine as well, but they had a chance to learn from others before I got on the ship. One bit of advice I gave my son was to listen very carefully to what the Chief of the boat would have to say. He will only be a butter bar for 18 months by the time he gets to the boat. I told him to watch how he uses the bar, he can be perceived as a jerk or a cool guy depending on his attitude. He has already convinced me that he will do just fine though.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote