View Single Post
Old 02-20-2004, 05:14 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 

Bluehawk,

Most of our Regular AF officer flightcrew members were OK but the Reservists were another story. They were the most arrogant SOB's I had to deal with. Several times, I was chewed out by one of these "weekend warriors" for nitpicking stuff like having a shirt button undone or not wearing a hat (we tended not to wear them on the flightline since it obscured our vision and the first time you whack you head on something would be the last time you wore a hat). One flight crew refused to fly on a mission until we swept out the flight station (we had already done that but it wasn't up to their satisfaction). One Major even told me, "We're fighting a war here, son!" Oh, please!

"Butterbars", fresh from the Academy were usually gung-ho as hell for the first few months, then they settled in. I can't recall ever dealing with an OCS grad except for the time I ran into my old Basic Training dorm chief. He was a college grad and went to OCS after Basic. He was a condescending a$$hole back in Basic and had become more insufferable when I met him again. Must be something about wearing brass.