View Single Post
Old 04-16-2009, 07:54 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

As you know, I live about three miles from the place Crockett was born. I have also been to the place where his grandparents were killed by the Cherokee. This man wanted to President of the USA and may have well been one and probably a good one. He was in one of the Creek Wars and it changed his life. the story is well known how they burned a cabin full of Creek fighters who would not surrender. After the cabin was burned Crockett and some of his fellow fighters uncovered a stash of potatoes underneath the cabin floor. Even though they had been cooked in human fat from the cabin fire they ate them they were so hungry. He never really liked potatoes after that. But not only that it changed his view of his fellow man. He saw the injustice of how the Indians were being treated and became their champion in Congress. He had been a protoge of Andrew Jackson but when Jackson ordered the forced removal of the five civilized tribes from their homes, Crockett opposed it. The end result was Jackson ran a man against Crockett and defeated him. James K Polk became Jackson's new protoge. That is when Crockett said' "You can go to hell, I'm going to Texas". To me the measure of the man is how he saw injustice refused to compromised even if the ones being cheated were the people who massacred his family. He was above all a outstandingly decent man. there were not many men the Cherokee could call their friend but David Crockett was such a man. Another was Sam Houston.