View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 09:32 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default I don't believe any of us

I know there are some very good men who served as Officers and NCO's. However, what I am saying is the vast majority of the fighting men came from the lower economic status. I think that holds true for all wars. Its just the nature of way things go. I don't look at it as being either bad or good, that's just way it is. Maybe during the Middle ages when Knights did much of the fighting, but you still had the infantry. War is basically the powerful getting the poor blokes to do their dirty work. And, Vietnam probably a little more so than any other war. Some say that now that most enlisted men come from poor economic status. I'm not sure about the stats on that but my guess is that is true. But, the vast majority of the personnel in the military will be E-4 and under and they will be doing most of the work, if that weren't true the military would be top heavy.

But, by the same token. Ron may have been unfortunate to have bad NCO's and Officers to a higher degree than most units, I just don't know.
I had some Officers I really admired, and I had some NCO's I really admired. I had some that were just plain jerks and useless but I think the majority of the NCO's and Officers were a pretty fine bunch of men.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote