View Single Post
Old 08-20-2003, 10:00 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Question Depends on how you define the Cold War?

Personally, If you define the Cold war as that period of political tension between the U.S. and communist bloc countries after WW2 then I believe that is over. However, I believe that what you see now is another phase developing between the U.S. (the Haves) and the Have-nots). This is an era where we have to be extremely careful. As I see it we are slowly evolving into the world's policeman. It is a dangerous role to fall into. The Clinton years have dragged down our military's capability to fight a multfront war. At this point we must pick and chose our fights.

Someone upstairs has to make a decision about a number of things. What will our role be vis-avis Israel and the middle east? What about Syria and Iran and North Korea? Why do we still have troops in Germany? What about the situation in Liberia?

I am going to say something very unpopular here but I think it needs to be addressed. We NEED more military! Can we get enough new enlistees or do we have to return to the draft? We are going after terrorism, we are fighting/occupying Afghanistan.
Do military commanders actually believe there are enough troops to handle all the hot spots where we may be asked to go?

We need more funds to keep developing improved weapons and ships. That priority changes on a regular basis depending on which party is in office. So as I saee it, a lot of long range decisions need to be made and they have to be backed up by funds and personnel. Who are we going to ally ourselves with and who are we going to defend ourselves against.

Right now, I think we just react. Is there a comprehensive plan out there to be more proactive? Some would argue the invasion of Afghanistan indicates we are proactive. where is Bin Laden? Where is Saddam? Have we failed because we have not cut off the head of the tyrant?

I think there are too many unanswered questions right now. If this were the 80's, I think the military would be in great shape. Now I'm not talking about the guys and gals here, I am talking about money and numbers of personnel. I think the people are just as highly qualified and motivated now as any time in our history. BUT we cannot be spread too thin, or we will be in trouble!!!!

Bill.

King John 2.1.466
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote