Thread: Coffee Shop
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 10:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to airforcegrrl Send a message via Yahoo to airforcegrrl

A Techincal Controller is my AFSC name 3C2X1, 3 being the Career Group Ours is Support, C being our career field ours being Communications, 2 being our Job Functional Area which is Tech Control, X is for the skill level still 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9, and finally the 1 indicates any further subdivisions within the Job Functional Area. Not all have them so normally it's just a one, but for aircraft they still use A and B. We still have Tech school, and depending on your career field depends on how long it is. Oh and everyone goes to tech school, even if they fold towels at the gym. didn't get a rope or anything, though the ropes in tech school more or less assisted teh Training Leaders in running things. Boot camp still has a test to graduate plus the PT portion. I still can't believe that people fail it, it's the easiest frellign test on the planet and we study the book from the time we arrive till we test too! any who...

I work on networks, mostly install and maintenance of the technical kind. I'm a glorified network plumber. I pick up the problem from where you cable from yoru computer meets the jack in the wall all the way back to it's final destination at the distant end. let me know if i lost you and i'll break it down some more I get to play with a lot of cool communications equipment. I get to meet a lot of interesting people, no i don't get to kill them. I also get a lot of training that would normally cost me a fortune on the outside for free. Though the air force is stingy about paying for the tests so i still have to fork over money for my A+ and CCNA certifications. But you make do with what you go and with the military now paying 100% tuition assistance i'd be retarded not to jump on it

Water Walker is a Tech Controller's way of saying he/she's hot shit. IE: we walk on water

I myself don't have a whole lot of america experience or deployment experience. Been in 6 years only been deployed once. Still at my first duty station in Langley AFB VA. Saw Scott AFB in IL for a week, and got to experience White Sands Missile Range in Orogrande NM. Been across the east pond to Al Udeid in Doha Qatar last summer. And that's about it. Had plenty of opportunities to deploy just orders getting passed up for one reaon or another. Mostly cause i was needed more in the office than abroad. I pride myself in being a one woman operation Keeps assholes from frelling things up. Comm is a difficult career field since most women dont' cut it. And Tech Controllers very rarely see a lass that can hack it on top of that. Much like Telephone doesn't get many girls due to the strenght requirements Tech Control doesn't get girls cause it requires a certain mental capacity. Mostly understanding not just how computers work but also how networks operate. I think the going rate in my squadron right now boy to girl is 20-1 and across the air force the numbers quadruple for the men while the women get one to two more.

You didn't bore me or anything, i like learning about what it was like when you old fogies were in

Insanities Plea
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote