View Single Post
Old 05-10-2004, 08:00 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Post The Yakima River Flows

The Yakima River flows right past Ellensburg. All the older men in our church remember when the Yakima was a source of food for their families during the depression. They don't comprehend this "catch and release" thing. They believe they should be "grand-fathered" in allowed to catch a limit and eat those fish. I don't care for trout but I enjoy catching them. When I go for eating fish I'd rather go to Columbia River or the Potholes Reservoir and catch walleye, perch, crappie, bass, etc. To me they are a better eating fish. Or head over to the coast for ling cod, halibut, or salmon. But I find fly fishing very relaxing and floating the Yakima an escape back into nature. Deer, Big Horn Sheep, Bald Eagles, 2.5 rapids, and fly fishing just make for a great day.

These guys who act as guides and own their own boats charge $200 a person for a guided float down the Yakima. They are usually booked pretty solid from April through October.

Fly fishing is the "New" yuppy in thing. Sure brings lots of money into Ellensburg.

Keith
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote