View Single Post
Old 01-08-2003, 07:02 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thanks !

for the great list ! Where did you get it ? I have got to start working on My Civil War library again. I have neglected it while working on The Ballantine Illustrated History of a Violent Century series of books ( 153 diff. ) from the 60s and 70s. Generals A. S. Johnston, Cleburne, and Strahl were all in my great-grandfather's chain of command at one time or another. He served with Co. F 9th TN Inf. C.S.A. and Co. A ( Neely's )14th ( also called 13th ) TN Cavalry C.S.A. and was at Shiloh, Corinth, Memphis TN, Bolivar TN, The Battle of Atlanta, and a 3 day cavalry engagement in MS near the Gulf whose name slips my mind at the time. I discovered that my great-great-grandfather on my mother's side, who was from TN also and was a Yankee, fought against my great-grandfather's Confederate cavalry unit in this battle. My lone ( so far ) Yankee soldier relative was captured a few years before this and paroled soon after....
My mother said she now understands why that part of the family was sort of shunned. She was born in 1924....

The real surprise is that Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest's name wasn't on this list. I forget how many horses were shot out from under him, how many times he was wounded, and of course there is the instance where he was caught in the midst of a bunch of Yankee horse soldiers by himself and fought his way out....He was my great-grandfather's commander also.

Larry