View Single Post
Old 02-28-2004, 10:28 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default RON

I was with the 101st JUN66-JUN67. It was only the 1st Bde. until late '67, when the rest of the Div. started arriving from Ft. Campbell. The 1st Bde. consisted of 3 Infantry Bns., 1/327 [James], 2/327, and 2/502 [Me]. There were also some 326th Engineers and 1 Battery of the 320th Arty.

During that time, Westmoreland used us mostly as a Reactionary Force. They bounced us all around the place, often with the 3 Bns. being in different places far apart. Like you, we'd stay in an area anywhere from a few days to several weeks and then be extracted and taken somewhere else and dropped off. Hell, most of the time I had no idea where I was. Just know it was some where in such-and-such province. The places that I can remember being was Dak To in the Central Highlands when I first got there; Tuy Hoa over on the Coastal Plains between Qui Nhon and Nha Trang; Kontum in the Central Highlands; Phan Rang [our main base camp] SW of Cam Ranh Bay; Bao Loc in the southern Central Highlands; the mountains above Phan Thiet in the northern part of III Corps; Di Linh in the Central Highlands west of Phan Rang; Kahn Duong in the Central Highlands NW of Nha Trang; Duc Pho about 100mi. south of Chu Lai on the coast. We were in some of these places for just a few days to a couple of weeks. We were like heavily armed homeless people .

BILL: How did things change after the A Shau? Give us details, Bro. Inquiring minds want to know .