View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 08:49 PM

Guys,

As the Frisco Kid and the Whale stated, treatment at the VA is top-notch. The VA health care system is rated by such sources as Business Week and CBS as the absolute best health care system in the US. But that doesn't mean that with 168 or however many VA hospitals, and far more Community Based Outpatient Clinics, that there aren't some clunkers out there.

As a 100% service connected vet from day one, November 11, 1969, military retired from that same date and eligible for Medicare off and on through the years, I have had plenty of options for my medical care to include military facilities, CHAPMUS and Tri-Care. Additionally, for 26 years I lived far enough away from the nearest VA facilities that the VA was willing to pay 100% of the cost for me to go to any doctor of my choosing on their dime for any condition. So what was my choice? I drove the 185 miles each way to the Spokane VA Medical Center to get quality care. Screw the civilians! The VA gave me travel pay anyway so it was worth it.

Let share with you what happened when I decided to take the VA up on their offer to pay for me to go to a civilian doctor on their dime. I went to a civilian doctor and told him that I was having pain in my chest/ribs. Not in the heart, it was closer to the surface. This bozo had me take off my shirt and show him where the pain was. I did as he asked and pointed to an old bullet wound from Viet Nam. By the way, I have bullet and shrapnel wound all over, so that should at least raise an eyebrow when a doctor examines me. I pointed right at the damned scar and told him that it was giving me some pain and discomfort! This piece of excrement never even asked me about the scar, ar any of my scars. Hey, if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck; it is probably a damned duck. But this ass-clown civilian doctor thought he knew everything and diagnosed it pleurisy without discussing any of my wounds.

I put my shirt back on and walked out. I had nothing else to say to him because clearly he didn't know squat.

The only ailments that I have had in my adult life was a kidney stone once and I think I had a cold once. The only medical care I need is regular check-ups and care for my service connected disabilities. As they are all the result of combat wounds, I decided to only go to a place where they recognize an old wound when they see one.

From 1977 to present I have received nothing but wonderful treatment from VA at:
Seattle VAMC
Spokane VAMC
Walla Walla VAMC
Cheyenne VAMC
Denver VAMC
Richland, WA Community Based Outpatient Clinic
Fort Collins, CO Community Based Outpatient Clinic

From November of 1969 to mid-1777 I received my care through March AFB Regional Hospital, Norton AFB dispensary, and the Naval Hospital at Whidbey Island, WA Naval Air Station. They were certainly better than the civilian that I went to, but they couldn't touch the VA for quality of care.

If the VA health care sucks where you live, you need to complain to your Senators and Congressman. But I certainly have no complaints.

As the Whale mentioned, the VA treats me like I’m something special.

Of course, my wife and children use Tri-Care. We are happy with it. My wife and daughter love their doctor. But when my wife goes with me to the VA she gets jealous. They treat me so well and get me in so quickly that my wife is shocked. She has noted that no civilian doctor has ever treated her as well as I am treated by the VA.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Robert
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote