View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 01:49 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Sadly

I must say I'm in somewhat agreement with you Hawk.

Even though, as an old newspaper man, I believe that "some" exposure is better than none at all.

I also believe it's extremely unfortunate for us all, and the public in general, that we only saw a small slice of the larger pie. I'd like for everyone to consider that from my personal perspective of seeing work from at least two of the 57 Regional Offices (Atlanta & Tampa) that there are probably hundreds of other adjudicators out there who are not as dedicated as the one individual shown on the program.

I also caution everyone that it is my experience that most initial claims will usually take close to one year from application to its' final decision. And, then from personal experience of helping others with their claims there will be many of those decisions that are so flawed as to require an appeal. And again from personal experience, appeals can take from three to four years.

In my experience, and this is commonplace, not at all uncommon. That the typical claim is full of overlooked or ignored evidence. I think this is a direct result of the rush to close files to earn bonus points.

We are told that that "Cases are selected at random..." for review. If this is correct, please tell us what percentage of cases are reviewed and what are the results? Why is it we NEVER see these "review" results?

The most outrageous thing I hear the from the VA is when they say, "every time a benefit is granted, a second person has to authorize it". Well, in my case, I know that is true, I was told so by a VA rating officer. But, it's obvious as hell that the same is not true of a DENIAL of benefits.

The conclusion drawn is that if you award a benefit, your work is 100% checked by a superior to look for a way to deny the benefit. If you deny a benefit, your decision may never be looked at for accuracy. The "denial" is usually approved.....carte blance....when sent "up the ladder" without EVER being looked at by a superior.

The "system" is designed to be "adversarial" towards the veteran, and "beneficial" to the adjudicator (or rating officer) that completes his cases as the system has been formulated with "bonuses" to those who meet their managers goals and/or expectations.

It is, as designed now......a travesty of justice!.............Until Congress (both Democrats AND Republicans!) make it a priority to fix this $hit through revamping of the "regs"............it will unfortunately be an uphill battle for all our brothers and sisters!

Gimp

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote