View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 11:21 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Talking

For a moment I was afraid I had blacked out at lunch and made a post here ! Smile every Sept 1st on my Dad's birthday. When he died I got the family bible and went to the family tree part. I knew my Opa and Oma had been married on April 28 but not the year and knew my Dad had been born Sept 1st 1916. My Opa fought for the Germans as a grunt in WWI. Peering over a trench , at Verdun , he was shot in the face and sent to a hospital. There he met my Oma , a nurse. They were married on April 28 , 1916 and my Dad was born Sept. 1 , 1916 !!!. My Dad was not a citizen when he was drafted in 1940 and did not get out till late 45. BRO from North Africa , Silicy, Italy , Normandy and Germany. Made him a citizen when he got out. Proudist American I have ever met , no speaking German in our house. We were not German - Americans , we were Americans. Flew the flag every day till the day he died. He has been dead ten years now but there are not many days I don't see his hand in my life. Happy Birthday Dad , one proud American !
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote