View Single Post
Old 09-02-2002, 05:54 PM

Distinctions
POM Contributor 

Bill,
Your suggestion got us the Federal oath. "A" is for folks over 18; "B" is for minors. I saw something just before this that raised another question. I'll post it on a new thread.

Chilidog

Taken from O.R. Series III Vo. II

934. The forms of declaration, and of consent in case of a minor under eighteen b years of age, having been signed and witnessed, the recruit will then be duly examined by the recruiting officer and surgeon, if one be present, and, if accepted, the Twentieth and Eighty-seventh Articles of War will be read to him; after which he will be allowed time to consider the subject until his mind appears to be fully made up before the oath is administered to him.
935. As soon as practicable, and at least within six days after his enlistment, the following oath will be administered to the recruit:
I, A-- B--, do solemnly swear, or affirm (as the case may be), that I will bear true allegiance to the United States of America, and that I will serve them honestly and faithfully against all their enemies or opposers whatsoever, and observe and obey the orders of the President of the United States, and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to the rules and articles for the government of the Armies of the United States. (See Tenth Article of War.)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote