View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 05:23 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default My nephew

MSGT Mike Booher (now ret) He was a recruiter doing a tour in Afghanistan. He was with two other recruiters in a Hummer going unescourted down a road in Afghanistan when an IED was detonated. It killed the other two guys and destroyed the vehicle. It was later in the afternoon and he was alone except for his two dead buddies. He was addled by the explosion but other than being covered in blood and brains he was uninjured. He called for help on the radio and was told nobody was coming until morning. He was going to have to spend the night alone in enemy territory and the enemy knew he was there and helpless except for his M-16. He was abandoned. Nearby a local village woman heard of his plight. She sneaked through Taliban territory and guided Mike back to her home where he was secluded for the night. The next day he was "rescued". Nadjla had a reason to hate the Taliban. They had killed her brother and uncle. Mike and her family were brought back to safety. In gratitude for her bravery, she was awarded an honorary CIB by US forces.

To make a long story short, the family was granted asylum in the USA. Later Mike and Nadjla were married after he converted to Islam. We not very enthusiastic about that but it's a free country. They had a gorgeous little girl together by the name of Laila. She is now two years old.

Mike comes from a military family. His father Chet, my brother in law was in Korea with the 1st Cav and was awarded the CIB. A son of Mike's, Seth, is a crew chief on a Medevac helicopter in Iraq. The other son Theron is signed up to go into the Air Force after he graduates.

I am proud of all my nephews and am especially proud of my little grand niece, Laila, part Afghan Muslim and part Tennessee hillbilly.

I don't know who the female DI is in Seth's picture but she is the scariest one in the photos.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp MSGT Mike Booher.bmp (592.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: bmp Laila.bmp (33.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: bmp Seth Booher.bmp (801.7 KB, 10 views)