Thread: Doing the work
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2004, 03:55 PM

Default Flag Patch

Ron - I remember thinking the same thing a while back but saw an explanation of why the flag is "backwards". Here's an explanation that I found on the Army web-site.

"Under current Army policy the appropriate sleeve, left or right, for wear of the U.S. flag patch is driven by the type of operation involved. The flag patch is worn on the right sleeve during joint or multinational operations where the distinguishing of individual national soldiers is desired and overrides tactical considerations. The flag patch is worn on the left sleeve when deployed in support of a United Nations operation.

Regardless of which sleeve, the U.S. flag must always be displayed with the blue star field facing forward. There are thus two separate flag patches in the Army inventory: the normal U.S. flag replica that is worn on the left sleeve, and what is referred to as the "reversed field" flag patch, which is worn on the right sleeve."

But I tend to agree with you that the photo was probably doctored to add the other patches.