View Single Post
Old 02-07-2005, 10:10 PM

Thanks, fellas....

Boats....I have different thoughts alright. In fact, several of my friends have come to the conclusion that I am flying at a different altitude. :-O Thanks for your eagerness. Hopefully, I will find time soon to share some.

Jerry....Yes, we have the Hunley stowed away somewhere around here. And that funeral march turned out to be a real big todo. I wasn't able to attend, however. I suffer from PTSD (it's a long story) and just couldn't bring myself to mingle with all those strangers.

So, Paco lives closeby, eh? hmmmmm.......perhaps I've seen him. 'Tis really somethin'.....that people can pass each other on the street and have so much in common, yet never know it, because we can't read their minds. Perhaps it would help if we all wore T-shirts which displayed the names of our friends and associates........like: Patriotfiles.com ......just to mention one....lol

I hate to tell you this, but I can't hang out here any longer tonight. I worked all day and we had company most of the evening, so I'm really pooped. Plus, I have to get up at 5:30 a.m. to do it all again.....lol

But, before I go, I just want to leave you with one of my recent poems. My hope is that many of you can relate to it. My objective in much of my writing is to capture the thoughts and feelings of our soldiers and veterans and put them into poetic form. I apologize in advance to those who don't like poetry. But, hey......perhaps after reading one of mine, you may warm up to the art.

Have You Heard the News

I killed another man, our enemy, yesterday
as you drove home, humming along the way
as you turned the radio to your favorite song,
not to the news on how we were getting along.

I shot another in the head and watched him die
as you fell asleep later under a peaceful sky
as I examined another to ensure he was dead,
you rearranged the pillows beneath your head.

I ran for cover as you woke to use the john,
then shot another as your paper hit the lawn
as you drank your coffee, sparkling in the sun,
a car bomb exploded and we lost another one.

We zipped him up as you carefully washed your face
as you stared in the mirror for anything out of place
as his remains were being loaded onto the plane,
you plucked your nose hairs, wincing at the pain.

I lost a leg, my right one, and the vision in one eye
as you rinsed your coffee cup and toweled it dry
as you jumped in your car, ready for another day,
they saluted caskets in secret, or so they say.

Nancy L. Meek ~ October 15, 2004

Have a great day/afternoon/evening :-)

Perpetually praying for eventual peace, I am
Nancy

"Once I was sad, because I had no shoes......until I met a man who had no feet.".....author unknown
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote