View Single Post
Old 08-10-2003, 09:48 AM

Distinctions
Contributor 
Post Confused, Moi?

Oh believe me I am easily confused. As a matter of fact, I served in the USCG (Uncle Sam's Confused Group) .

What is even more weird is the fact that one of the main reasons why the South lost the Civil War was the lack of a central government, to wit:

a)In North Carolina, they had warehouses full of confederate uniforms. Virginians were in rags, NC would not release the uniforms. They were still there in WW2 when the state gave them to the government for use by German POWs.

b) Georgia grew so incensed at Richmond that they threatened to secede from the Confederacy.

c) The lack of standards between the states created a logistical nightmare for the Confederacy vis-avis rail road guage size. If the Richmond government had had their say, they could have standardized the Rail road rail sizes and thus allowed for more more efficient transport of arms, soldiers and materiel for the war effort.

This is a topic that could go on forever (about the causes of the war). Personally, I think it could be boiled down to fear and pride on both sides. That is a topic for another discussion.

Bill

King John 2.1.466
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote