View Single Post
Old 06-21-2002, 11:26 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Thumbs up

Keith, you did that as well, all right. I spent sometime with the East Fork VFD when not working away from home. I was always assigned to the brush rig and did my share of humping around the hills, canyons and valleys and got in on a few burns. There was no pay for all that, but the VFD firehouse always had the refer stocked with the finest of beers and fantastic munchies when the fire was out. Like magic, we?d get back and bingo, the beer and munchy fairy had paid a call. It was great fun, hard work and good memories for sure. We are probably the only VFD to ever get a pumper stuck in the firehouse. We?d been doing a bunch of BBQ cooking for a VFD fundraiser and one of the Lads accidentally spilled a bunch of hot chicken fat all over the floor. Then sure as heck a brush fire call came in. We tried to scram but the drive wheels hit the chicken fat and just spun to no good purpose, drat. A couple hundred pounds of dirt shoveled in and a pull chain hooked to the brush rig got the pumper out. Of course someone always blabs so we were the brunt of rude jokes for quite a while. Aarrgg!!

Fair seas, Bill

sendpm.gif Reply With Quote