View Single Post
Old 10-18-2003, 08:28 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default deliveries

While I never had a paper route, I did deliver the mail for the USPS for 13 months as an "associate rural delivery carrier", which is a fancy term for grunt fill-in who doesn't get any benefits. Since I was a fill-in I had to use whatever conveance (sp) the regular carrier used. I filled in for 5 people who had refused the postal trucks when they became available, opting instead for extra pay and using their own cars. I thought that was so stupid. All that extra cash was just going back into the car to pay for the numerous oil changes, brake and transmission work, tires, etc. At the time I had a '95 Ford Taurus wagon and, after just 13 months of delivering the mail, it became an '85 Ford Taurus wagon. Then there were the dogs! I have more "canines from hell" stories than you can shake a stick at and that's just from a little over a year! What the hell is it about dogs?! I've been bitten 5 times in my life and had several near misses, all for doing nothing more than being there! One dog made the fatal mistake of biting me in the butt when I had my Ruger 10-20 on me. The clip was loaded with .22 Mini-Mag hollow points and I emptied the whole thing into that mangy beast. Later that afternoon, when I got back from the base dispensary (I was living in an off-base house), several neighbors thanked me for getting rid of "Cujo". The last time I was bitten was about 18 years ago at 7AM on a Sunday morning while walking to get the papers. This one, a big mongrel bitch (No, not my ex-wife!), attacked me from behind causing a 5 stitch wound in my left thigh. Unfortunately for her I got my knife out and slashed her across the face, twice. She got a hell of a lot more stitches than I did. And the owner wanted me to pay for it and threatened to sue me! Another neighbor saw the whole incident and agreed to be a witness for me should it go to court but, after a mutual sit-down with the cops, he agreed to pay for my hospital bill, mainly because of my witness and the fact that there's a leash law in town and he admitted he just let the dog out alone to do its "duty" because it was too cold to walk her himself. Give me a nice warm pussy...cat any day.