View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 11:46 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 

I have had the pleasure of meeting Gen Westmoreland three times in my life. Once at the Pentagon while he was Chief of Staff, once at a Welcome Home Parade for Vietnam Vets, and once more at the Marine Corps Air Station here in Beaufort. He remembered me at the Air Station from the welcome home parade and I was impressed with that. It had been more than 10 years. His speech at the Parade was impressive and I believed what he said.

I was in the Army less than 3 years and obtained the rank of Sergeant, of which I am very proud. I was a Paratrooper, which I am even prouder of. I cannot make a judgement on Westy because 2 1/2 years of service and about 10 months of Combat does not give me the qualifications I would need to judge something as complex as a General trying to run a war we had never fought before. All I can say is that after meeting him, I came away respecting him.

Airborne Sir! Thanks so much for caring about us the way you did.

Pack

"DISSENT IS PATRIOTIC!" (unknown people for the past 8 years, my turn now)
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote