Thread: Oh well!!!
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2009, 04:40 PM

Distinctions
Contributor 

After coming home, and doing some research have to say I was very blessed. Went "cold
turkey" on the cigarettes, as Doc said it is a major factor in strokes, heart attacks, and ETC. Sure it is best to quit. I feel that this is a desease that I have to deal with, and control. Thanks for Your support.
Topp Gee

Peripheral arterial disease

Peripheral arterial disease (PAD), more commonly known as hardening of the arteries, affects about 8 million Americans. It is a condition in which the large and medium-sized arteries supplying blood to the legs become narrow or clogged, constricting the flow of blood. PAD is caused by atherosclerosis, a gradual process in which cholesterol and scar tissue build up, forming a substance called plaque that clogs the artery. PAD not only causes pain and disability, it also is associated with a much higher risk of heart disease.

Facts about peripheral arterial disease
People with PAD have a 2- to 6-fold increased risk of death from heart attack and stroke.

Warning signs
PAD may be present without showing any signs or symptoms. Many people experience discomfort while walking that is relieved by rest, but are unaware that it is due to blocked arteries. Some people with PAD experience the following:

Pain during exercise, which is relieved during rest

Cold legs

Poor wound healing

Constant leg pain, tingling, burning, or loss of sensation

Risk factors
The following factors are indicative of your risk for peripheral arterial disease:

Family history

Increasing age

High blood pressure

Smoking

High cholesterol

Heavy alcohol consumption

Poor diet

Heart disease

Diabetes

Physical inactivity

Obesity