Thread: Becoming One
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2004, 05:06 AM

Distinctions
Contributor VOM 
Default usmcsgt65

I've been a Rev War re-enactor since '87 and I love it. I had wanted to get into the hobby during the Bicentennial but my first wife didn't want anything to do with it (that should've been a serious clue, but I ignored it). I joined at the Sudbury Co.'s of Militia & Minute and Ancient & Honorable Fife and Drum Muster and Colonial Faire (phew!) and never looked back. I worked my way up the ranks to Company Colonel in '93 then was "voted out" in a drum head election (actually you're only a colonel once through automatic succession of rank).

It's an expensive hobby! I figure that clothing and equipment alone has cost us about 5 grand over the years, then there's travel all up and down the east coast from Quebec City to Charlotte. It's a good thing I love this stuff. Since my spinal surgery, I've become the regimental surgeon (can't take the field anymore) meaning that I've had to procure all the necessary medical equipment and knowledge as well as an operating table, tent, fly, brazier, etc. So if you can't or won't spend some bucks you'll be limited as to your portrayal but it can still be lots of fun. In fact, tonight my wife and I will be giving a lecture at the Leominster (MA) Historical Society on 18th century medicine. We also lecture and demonstrate at schools in an effort to promote American Rev War era history and culture, because if we don't do it, we'll lose that aspect of Americana forever.

Of course there's not much in the way of Rev War re-enactments in Vegas but I'll bet there's US Cavalry if you're interested in military re-enactments.