Thread: The Wall at 25
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2007, 10:29 AM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Thanks

for posting this John.

Damn, don't time fly!

It took me ten years to work up the courage to finally visit the Wall for my first time in 1992. It was the tenth anniversary of it's opening to the public and I was there with thousands of other Vietnam Vets and will never forget that day. Cried like a blubbering baby.

I also went on the 20th anniversary in 2002, and many, many times in between. My sister lives in Arlington, VA. just outside the gates of Ft. Myer where the 'Old Guard" is stationed and just a few miles from Arlington National Cemetary and less than five miles from the Mall where the Vietnam Memorial is located.

Everytime I visit my sister I make it a point to visit the Wall just before sunrise, and stay until the sun rises to pay my respects.

I hope everyone has the chance to visit this place of reverance and reflection at least once during their lifetime.

Gimpy

"MUD GRUNT/RIVERINE"

"I ain't no fortunate son"--CCR

"We have shared the incommunicable experience of war..........We have felt - we still feel - the passion of life to its top.........In our youth our hearts were touched with fire"

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote