View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 02:21 PM

Thumbs up A new WWII documentary chronicles the heroism of B-17 bomber crews, and the horrors t

A new WWII documentary chronicles the heroism of B-17 bomber crews, and the horrors they endured
By: James Clark - Task & Purpose / 5-12-19
RE: https://taskandpurpose.com/wwii-docu...-the-cold-blue

A new documentary places the audience inside of a B-17 flying fortress during one of the deadliest moments of World War II for American military aviators: Soaring over Europe in 1943 on a daylight bombing mission.

Directed by Erik Nelson, The Cold Blue will premiere in select theaters for one day only on May 23, via Fathom Events. The film was constructed using recently discovered and restored footage from the World War II-era documentary The Memphis Bell: A Story Of A Flying Fortress by William Wyler. Harold Tannenbaum, one of the cameramen who helped capture the original footage for The Memphis Bell, was killed in combat while filming.

The documentary follows the men of the Eighth Air Force who took part in a nearly nonstop daylight bombing campaign from May 1942 to July 1945 aimed at loosening the Nazi Regime's hold on Europe. While they ultimately succeeded, it came at a terrible price: The Eighth Air Force accounted for nearly half of the U.S. Army Air Force's casualties — roughly 47,480 out of 115,330 — and included more than 26,000 dead.

In a trailer for the film, we glimpse a formation of B-17s soaring through clear blue skies. The camera cuts to smiling young men, who share a smoke and a laugh. The next moment, clouds of flak dot the sky, and enemy fighters streak toward the camera as an unnamed narrator reads a poem:

"This is a poem by Randall Jarrell, who like me served in the Army Air Corps in World War II," says the narrator. "It's called The Death Of A Ball Turret Gunner, and it goes like this; From my mother's sleep I fell into the state, and I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze. Six miles from earth, loosed from its dream of life, I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters. When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose."

The Cold Blue is as much a meditation on death and fear as it as a tribute those who found the courage to climb back into a flying fortress and face it all again, day after day.

"This project was a labor of love that has been three years in the making, from the discovery of William Wyler's original footage to working closely with the National Archives to restore it frame by frame," Nelson said in a statement provided to Task & Purpose. "We're excited to finally share this special project with audiences across the United States, and to celebrate the last of the best — the men who risked their lives to save the world 75 years ago."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this for my Uncle Chuck who was a B-17 pilot during WWII. He's gone now like so many of that war. His plane was shot up many times during a run but he always got his plane back. After the war he went to LeRoy, MI and became a dairy farmer. I recall going up to his farm twice - wow did he have the cows. I got behind him one day on his tractor and got sprayed with cow dung - he said you've been initiated. I know he had two daughters but can't recall if the newborn was a boy or girl.

My best wishes to all those who've served our Country. Those who serve are the finest and they never resisted the call to enlist. All my Grand-Father all my Uncles - Dad - Brother Larry and many of my school buds we all joined up - can't recall any of us ever being drafted.

We did our bit for our country and knew going in the cost of these services but it must be in our blood to fight for our country. I'm very proud of them all - God Bless Them.

Late note: I miss them all - I alone am the last torch burning in their behalf. On Memorial Day I go to our local Memorial and plant a flag for each of them and tell them how much I miss them and thank them for their service.

Boats

O Almighty Lord God, who neither slumberest nor sleepest; Protect and assist, we beseech thee, all those who at home or abroad, by land, by sea, or in the air, are serving this country, that they, being armed with thy defence, may be preserved evermore in all perils; and being filled with wisdom and girded with strength, may do their duty to thy honour and glory; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links