View Single Post
Old 03-28-2003, 07:23 PM

Distinctions
VOM Contributor 
Default Another Letter from Brad!

Patriot Files! 23 March 2003

I have no idea if there's been a response to my thread. I did receive several letters though . . . And I really appreciated them.
Of course, like everyone at Basic, I would like to sound Macho and that nothing bothers me here - but that's Just not true . . . for anyone! Letters are a great mental break! My main issues is that I miss friends and family and freedoms and candybars - that said, I've made a lot great new friends, I am learning that my preconceived limits are not physical limits and that even physical limits are ambiguous and mean nothing.

I've also been learning that in leadership the unwilling and unmotivated are a huge challenge! Because of a High Army physical Fitness test score I've been made a squadron leader. I have a very unmotivate squad on the personal level - no clue why they are even here - But they are and its my job to keep them squared away.

On Tuesday we begin using live ammunition. Should be pretty exciting. I am really hoping to shoot expert. We've already been through the obstacle course and the gas chamber. Some are effected worse than other by the gas. I am definitely in the worse side! When my line three took off our masks I was the last to go. I immediately began telling the "Drill Sgt, Nebraska, Drill Sgt." over and over again when they asked me where I was from. I got an extra dose because the first in my line dropped his Kevlar Helmet and after recovering it he had troubles snapping the strap. Outside after walking 100 yds in fresh air my vision straighten out and throat/eyes/ nose started to burn less. It wasn't until Then that I realize I had two strings of snot running from my nose to below my waste! We had to hold our weapon extended in one hand and our mask in the other - my only option was to try to shake it off - which made it cover my BDU's. My Drill Sgt was right beside me laughing His ass off. Lessons learned: The gas mask does work and chemical warfare sucks!

My bdy is starting to become acclimiated to the workouts. The bad hurts are starting to feel like good hurts. On Sundays PT is left mainly to ourselves and I'm trying to take it as easy as possible to see if I can get at least a little bit of recovery.

But at just aover a third way through Basic. This soldier is holding up just fine!!

THE BRAD!

Thanks to Keith_Hixson for being my middle man between myself and the cyberworld - "really appreciate it!" Brad
sendpm.gif Reply With Quote