View Single Post
Old 12-20-2008, 02:41 PM

Wow, thanks for all the welcomes and hellos.

I didn't come here in search of war gamers, it just came as an after thought to the post and I've known a few military men that enjoy war gaming as it is great practice for tactical maneuvering with large numbers of units.

Equally as many military men are into first person shooter games like Call of Duty, ie: games wherein you control a lone member of a squad and can work with other guys to achieve objectives.

Today's military recruits are from the video game generation and, video games can be put to use for actual training and mission briefings.

Imagine that you and your men are getting ready to retake a building from the enemy. With today's technology, one could get the blueprints of the building and have a rough 3d model built digitally in a couple hours.

That model could then be loaded into a video game engine and the squad that was going to be responsible for the mission could spend some time before the mission and actually getting a good feel for the layout of the target building.

Flight simulators are one of the oldest uses of video game related technology that is used to train America's soldiers.

I feel that an American citizen can show his patriotism in more ways than one. Some of us go to war and fight. Some of us stay home and support the cause. Still others take to the world wide web and do what they can to promote freedom around the world.

It's all relative.

Though we don't share a bond of blood lost,
We share the bond of being American Citizens.
Hopefully that counts for something.